Renewables for Households: Solar Hot WaterJune 04, 2022
Home » Renewables for Households: Solar Hot Water
Rethinking household energy provision – understanding how to use sunlight to produce hot water.
Learn how you can use solar water heating systems (solar thermal) to directly heat water. The course will cover the different solar water systems available, how they work, and how to assess which is best for your needs.
- Duration: one day
- Upcoming date: Saturday 4 June 2022
- Start and finish times: starts at 10am and ends at 4.30pm on the last day
- Fee: £75
- Includes: tuition, all materials
- What to bring: waterproof clothing is recommended
- Terms and Conditions:
- you must be 18 years or over to attend our courses.
- For full list of terms and conditions click here
What you will learn
This course will give you the ability to decide if a solar thermal system is suited to your needs, develop a cost benefit analysis and quantify the emissions reductions.
We’ll discuss the different types of solar thermal water heating system available, including examining the potential for DIY systems. Through a mixture of lectures and hands on sessions we’ll cover how the systems work, looking at the basic principles of heat transfer and efficiency.
We’ll look at solar thermal resource analysis and how you can use this to assess the energy potential in your own setting. The course will also cover system design, sizing, installation and connection so you’ll leave ready to select and install your own system.
A basic knowledge of MS Excel (or equivalent) is desirable for this course.
Renewables for Households courses
This course is part of a series exploring renewable energy technologies for households. Each course can be taken as a standalone or as a series where they will equip you with the skills and knowledge to implement different renewable technologies in your home.
- Introduction to Renewables for Households – Saturday 5 March
- Renewables for Households: Insulation – Saturday 26 March 2022
- Renewables for Households: Wind Turbines – Saturday 2 April 2022
- Renewables for Households: Solar PV – Saturday 7 May 2022
- Renewables for Households: Solar Hot Water – Saturday 4 June 2022
- Renewables for Households: Biomass – Saturday 25 June 2022
- Renewables for Households: Heat Pumps – Saturday 2 July 2022
Meet your tutor
Alan is a Charted Energy Engineer and lecturer on our postgraduate courses here at CAT. His research ranges from numerical modelling of sustainable energy systems and resources in Europe, to developing international sustainable energy policy and strategy in post-conflict/post-disaster areas of South East Asia.