CAT seeks a Trainer/Facilitator to join our Zero Carbon Britain team and assist in the delivery of our Zero Carbon Britain training.
The Centre for Alternative Technology (CAT) is an educational charity demonstrating practical solutions for sustainability covering all aspects of green living. It has a unique visitor centre that welcomes tens of thousands of visitors each year and a Graduate School offering postgraduate degrees in sustainability and adaptation, environmental architecture, sustainable food and natural resources and renewable energy. The organisation also runs short courses and educational visits, offers venue hire and has undertaken research in ways to reduce Britain’s environmental footprint, via the flagship Zero Carbon Britain project.
Building on the research done to date, CAT has launched a new Zero Carbon Britain (ZCB) Hub and Innovation Lab with support from the Moondance Foundation. This is a three year project aiming to improve the capacity of councils and communities to turn climate emergency declarations into action and create systemic change for mitigation of and increased resilience to climate change and biodiversity loss.
This is being achieved by offering a programme of support aimed at increasing the competence, confidence and effectiveness of policymakers, communities and organisations in developing zero carbon policies and action plans. This support includes: delivering various types of training inspired by the ZCB research; supplying tools to enable people to turn climate emergency declarations into action; running innovation labs that bring multiple stakeholders together to address the key barriers to net zero; establishing and evolving an online resource hub and network to provide peer support and increase the confidence of individuals and communities to take action on climate change. The project has been running for 17 months and is investing in additional staff to increase its reach and impact.
The aim of our training is to increase the knowledge, skills and capacity of institutions and communities to reduce emissions through Zero Carbon Britain training and a ‘train the trainer’ model. Building on the success of our existing site based training we have developed a ZCB short course at a generalist level for delivery on site and online as well as regionally across the UK when this is possible. We also offer bespoke ZCB training which is sector-specific to councils and other organisations. We are currently developing a suite of themed courses which will explore themes from the ZCB report, a recent example of this is our Local Energy Solutions course. We have partnered with the Carbon Literacy Project to develop carbon literacy training based on our ZCB report and are rolling out a train the trainer offer for Local Authorities and other sectors. We now need to increase our capacity to provide training and this role will support the training offer across the ZCB Hub, as well as ZCB content for visitors to the CAT site.
The innovation lab aims to unlock sustainable solutions to specific challenges, contributing to efforts to avert the most dangerous levels of climate change. It provides opportunities for key stakeholders to work together to create innovative, proven, effective climate solutions and create routes into systems change. The Innovation Lab uses the experimental, co-creative, systems- and design-thinking processes needed to change the current paradigm and create a sustainable future for all humanity as part of a thriving natural world.
- Reference: ZCBRA210714
- Salary: £30,000 p.a. pro rata
- 22.5 hours per week
- Location: Normally at Charity’s site near Machynlleth, Mid Wales. Remote working will be considered.
- Contract type: Fixed Term – 1 year with potential for extension
- Responsible to: Training Manager
- Working Days: Usually Monday to Friday, occasional weekend work, flexi working considered
- Closing date for applications: 9am 16 August 2021
- Interviews to be held: week commencing 30 August and 6 September 2021
- Expected start date: As soon as possible – to be discussed at offer stage
Staff are working remotely as much as possible, subject to individual roles. Working arrangements for staff comply with all current applicable COVID-19 guidance and are updated as and when the guidance changes.
The post holder will support the Training Manager across all aspects of the Zero Carbon Britain training, including but not limited to
- Plan, prepare and deliver online/virtual and face to face workshops, presentations and training, in line with the guidance of the Training Manager
- Attend, support and facilitate training events and workshops, including contributing to the innovation lab processes
- Undertake all other duties to ensure the efficient and effective running of the training programme
- Plan, prepare and deliver Carbon Literacy Project (CLP) ZCB training, in accordance with the policies and procedures of both CAT and CLP
- Manage enquiries about training programmes
- Publicise the project and activities of training programme
- Liaise with the Training Manager to determine training needs and schedule the training programme
- Maintain a database of all training materials
- Contribute to grant funding/consultancy proposal writing
- Work flexibly including evening and weekend working where required
- Any other appropriate duties as defined by the Training Manager.
- Ensure compliance with CAT’s policies and procedures including Health & Safety
- Be aware of and support diversity and equal opportunities for all
To learn more about the role download the full job description:Job Description: Zero Carbon Britain Trainer/Facilitator