CAT seeks a Research Assistant to join our Zero Carbon Britain team and assist in the delivery, analysis and management of innovation labs that aim to unlock sustainable solutions.
The Centre for Alternative Technology (CAT) is an educational charity demonstrating practical solutions for sustainability covering all aspects of green living. It has a unique visitor centre that welcomes tens of thousands of visitors each year and a Graduate School offering postgraduate degrees in sustainability and adaptation, environmental architecture, sustainable food and natural resources and renewable energy. The organisation also runs short courses and educational visits, offers venue hire and has undertaken research in ways to reduce Britain’s environmental footprint, via the flagship Zero Carbon Britain project.
Building on the research done to date, CAT has launched a new Zero Carbon Britain (ZCB) Hub and Innovation Lab with support from the Moondance Foundation. This is a three year project aiming to improve the capacity of councils and communities to turn climate emergency declarations into action and create systemic change for mitigation of and increased resilience to climate change and biodiversity loss.
This is being achieved by offering a programme of support aimed at increasing the competence, confidence and effectiveness of policymakers, communities and organisations in developing zero carbon policies and action plans. This support includes: delivering various types of training inspired by the ZCB research; supplying tools to enable people to turn climate emergency declarations into action; establishing and evolving an online resource hub and network to provide peer support and increase confidence of individuals and communities to take action on climate change. The project has been running for 17 months and is investing in additional staff to increase its reach and impact.
The innovation lab aims to unlock sustainable solutions to specific challenges, contributing to efforts to avert the most dangerous levels of climate change. It provides opportunities for key stakeholders to work together to create innovative, proven, effective climate solutions and create routes into systems change. The Innovation Lab uses the experimental, co-creative, systems- and design-thinking processes needed to change the current paradigm and create a sustainable future for all humanity as part of a thriving natural world.
- Reference: ZCBRA210712
- Salary: £30,000 p.a.
- 37.5 hours per week
- Location: Normally at Charity’s site near Machynlleth, Mid Wales. Remote working will be considered.
- Contract type: Fixed Term – 1 year with potential for extension
- Responsible to: Innovation Lab Manager
- Working Days: Monday to Friday, occasional weekend work, flexi working considered
- Closing date for applications: 9am 16 August 2021
- Interviews to be held: week commencing 30 August and 6 September 2021
- Expected start date: As soon as possible – to be discussed at offer stage
Staff are working remotely as much as possible, subject to individual roles. Working arrangements for staff comply with all current applicable COVID-19 guidance and are updated as and when the guidance changes.
The post holder will support the Innovation Lab Manager in all aspects of the Zero Carbon Britain Innovation Lab, including but not limited to:
- Identification of and research into key issues to be addressed by the innovation lab
- Contributing to the design of innovation lab processes
- Delivery of innovation lab processes as part of a team
- Analysis and write up of outputs from lab workshops (including potential for peer-reviewed journal articles)
- Management of enquiries about the innovation lab
- Publicise the project and activities of the innovation lab
- Contribute to grant funding/consultancy proposal writing
- Design and deliver training/presentations/events on the innovation lab processes and outputs
- Any other appropriate duties as defined by the Innovation Lab Manager.
- Ensuring compliance with CAT’s policies and procedures including Health & Safety
To learn more about the role download the full job description:Job Description – Zero Carbon Britain Research Assistant