CAT is seeking a Programme & Student Support Manager to manage the Programme and Student Support team and assist in the operation and development of the academic quality and standards procedures of Graduate School of the Environment.
The Centre for Alternative Technology (CAT) is an internationally renowned environmental and educational charity, a world-leading eco centre, and one of the foremost providers of postgraduate environmental education in the UK, based near Machynlleth in Powys, Mid Wales.
CAT provides inspiration, education and training in solutions to the climate and biodiversity emergency.
Key activities include a visitor centre where people can see solutions in action, residential short courses, vocational training and postgraduate degrees in a wide range of sustainability-related topics, with online courses and events offered alongside in-person learning.
CAT’s award-winning WISE building is the home for our Graduate School of the Environment, which offers a variety of MSc programmes in Sustainability and an ARB-prescribed Part II Sustainable Architecture (MArch) programme. Our programmes are delivered in partnership with the University of East London (UEL) and Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU).
The Programme and Student Support Manager (PSSM), based within the GSE, is responsible for managing the team of Programme and Student Support Officers (PSSOs) and assisting the Head of School in the operation and development of the academic quality and standards procedures of GSE, operating within CAT’s environmental ethos.
- Ref: PSSM211019
- Salary: £21,600 per annum
- Contract type: Permanent
- Hours: Full time – 37.5 hours per week
- Responsible to: Head of School
- Responsible for: Programme and Student Support Officers
- Location: Combination of working at Company’s site in Llwyngwern, Machynlleth and remotely to coincide with Student attendance on site.
- Working Days: Normally Monday to Friday, occasional weekends
- Closing date for applications: 9am 10 November 2021
- Interview to be held: Week commencing 15 November 2021
- Expected start date: 22 November 2021 or ASAP
Staff are working remotely as much as possible, subject to individual roles. Working arrangements for staff comply with all current applicable COVID-19 guidance and are updated as and when the guidance changes.
Main Purpose and Responsibilities
- To manage the team of PSSOs who provide support to all higher education courses in GSE;
- To work with the Head of School in the overseeing and development of the academic quality and standards policies and procedures across GSE;
- To provide cover for PSSOs during periods of absence;
- To ensure compliance with CAT’s policies and procedures including health and safety;
- Any other appropriate duties as defined by the Head of School.
- To line manage the PSSO’s and ensure maximum operational effectiveness in administering the GSE; to lead recruitment to the team when needed
- Contribute to the induction and training of student support and academic staff and ensure departmental guidance and training documentation is current and effective.
- To work with the Head of School to ensure that all academic quality and standard policies and procedures are up to date and operational across GSE
- Provide communication between the quality and support function, the academic team and the student body;
- Act as the main link between Programme and Student Support team and Marketing;
- Provide communication with collaborative student support teams he University of East London and Liverpool John Moores University to ensure that GSE courses are delivered to their quality standards and deadlines;
- Administer and minute Academic Council meetings;
- Oversee and maintain in-house student databases; ensuring student records are maintained in accordance with CAT data privacy requirements and GDPR
- Oversee administration of student records, registration and awards functions, including transcript evaluations, admissions and certification processed in order to provide maximum service to students while ensuring efficient and effective workflow.
Applications are required, CVs will not be accepted.