CAT is seeking a Food and Beverage Manager to develop the operation of the kitchen and catering services (working with Head of Visitor Services), ensuring that they produce high quality products in an efficient and profitable way, whilst operating within CAT’s environmental and procurement policies.
The Centre for Alternative Technology (CAT) is an internationally renowned environmental charity, a world-leading eco centre, and one of the foremost providers of postgraduate environmental education in the UK, based near Machynlleth in Powys, Mid Wales.
CAT provides inspiration, education and training in solutions to the climate and biodiversity emergency.
Key activities include a visitor centre where people can see solutions in action, residential short courses, vocational training and postgraduate degrees in a wide range of sustainability-related topics, with online courses and events offered alongside in-person learning.
Our free Information Service provides advice for individuals and our Zero Carbon Britain team publishes research and works directly with councils, communities and other organisations to help transform complex economic, social and political systems.
- Ref: FBM220513
- Responsible to: Head of Visitor Service
- Contract type: Permanent
- Location: CAT’s site in Llwyngwern, nr Machynlleth
- Hours: 37.5 hours (1.0 FTE) per week.
- Working Days: Spread over 7 days on a rota basis, including evenings and early mornings. Split shifts may be required, dependent on business requirements.
- Salary: £25,000 – £32,000 per annum
- Application deadline: 9am 13 June 2022
- Interview to be held: Week commencing 20 June 2022
- Expected start date: 1 July 2022 or ASAP
Staff are working remotely as much as possible, subject to individual roles. Working arrangements for staff comply with all current applicable COVID-19 guidance and are updated as and when the guidance changes.
Overview of Role
CAT’s catering team aims to provide a high quality service to its range of customers who include day visitors, school groups, students, course attendees, B&B guests, events and conference delegates. CAT’s café is one of the leading vegetarian and sustainable food outlets in Wales, showcasing low-carbon, nutritious and tasty food. Current areas of operation include the main café and restaurant in the WISE building.
The Food and Beverage Manager will be working alongside the Head of Visitor Services, to develop the operation of the kitchen and catering services, ensuring that they produce high quality products in an efficient and profitable way, whilst operating within CAT’s environmental and procurement policies.
The role combines a high level of chef duties, along with product development, financial and personnel management functions.
Leadership and Staff Management:
- To develop the skills of the catering team through staff training and coaching, ensuring that all staff receive adequate induction and training in health and safety, food hygiene and the CAT catering offer.
- Prepare the rota for the café, servery and bar operations in co-operation with the Visitor Services Manager.
- Lead and create a team environment, which promotes good employee morale and ensures a high level of commitment and pride in the organisation.
- Ensure effective communication with your team and other departments, by holding regular team briefing sessions and attending management meetings as required.
- To ensure CAT’s catering operation is consistent with and showcases CAT’s ethos and research, relating to food and meets our environmental and purchasing policy.
- To comply with CAT’s Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Working with the Head of Visitor Services to ensure the delivery of consistent, high level customer service to all café users and CAT guests.
- Maintain good effective working relationships with suppliers.
- Working with the Head of Visitor Services, carry out menu planning to meet the requirements of café customers and CAT guests, including wedding and corporate bookings and which reflect CAT’s sustainability and environmental policies.
- Work with the Visitor Services Manager to plan menus and pricing to accommodate principal customer groups, including visitor centre users, students, accommodation guests and corporate bookings.
- To continually review the development of quality and range of products to increase profitability and customer satisfaction through the provision of new menus, services and food lines, including locally produced, organic and fair-traded food.
- Oversee compliance with Food Safety/Hygiene legislation including record keeping and maintain 5* rating.
- To comply with CAT’s Health and Safety Policies.
Business & Financial Management:
- To work within agreed payroll, stock value levels and budgets and manage stock ordering and margins. Assist the Head of Visitor Services with budget setting and implementation.
- To work with the Finance Department to ensure departmental compliance with agreed ordering, banking and invoicing procedures and ensure cafe staff adhere to agreed cash handling and security procedures.
- To monitor key performance indicators as required and produce departmental performance reports as required.
- Liaise with the Estates and Caretaker teams to ensure an excellent level of presentation related to the café and restaurant in the WISE building and to report defects using the appropriate systems.
- Liaise with the Visitor Services Manager to ensure an effective communication between the Catering and Hospitality departments.
- Attend management meetings as required.
- To act as a member of the CAT health and safety working group.
- Any other appropriate duties required by the Head of Visitor Services.
Applications should be forwarded to email@example.com by the deadline stating the job title in the Subject line.
Any queries should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are required, CVs will not be accepted.