CAT seeks an Administrative Assistant to join our Zero Carbon Britain team and be a key part of this team as they work to help more organisations take action on the climate crisis.
The Centre for Alternative Technology (CAT) is an educational charity demonstrating practical solutions for sustainability covering all aspects of green living: environmental building; renewable energy; woodland management; energy efficiency; and organic growing. It has a unique visitor centre that welcomes tens of thousands of visitors each year and a Graduate School offering postgraduate degrees in sustainability and adaptation, environmental architecture, sustainable food and natural resources and renewable energy. The organisation also runs short courses and educational visits, offers venue hire and has undertaken research in ways to reduce Britain’s environmental footprint, via the flagship Zero Carbon Britain project.
Building on the research done to date, CAT has launched a new Zero Carbon Britain Hub and Innovation Lab with support from the Moondance Foundation. This is a three-year project aiming to improve the capacity of councils and communities to turn climate emergency declarations into action and create systemic change for mitigation of and increased resilience to climate change and biodiversity loss. This is being achieved by offering a programme of support aimed at increasing the competence, confidence and effectiveness of policymakers, communities and organisations in developing zero carbon policies and action plans.
This support includes: using the Zero Carbon Britain research to provide people with the knowledge to create Climate Emergency Action Plans; delivering various types of training inspired by the research, using a ‘train the trainer’ model to increase the reach of our training and speed and scale of action on climate change; supplying tools to enable people to turn climate emergency declarations into action; establishing and evolving an online resource hub and network to provide peer support and increase confidence of individuals and communities to take action on climate change.
The innovation lab aims to unlock sustainable solutions to specific challenges, contributing to efforts to avert the most dangerous levels of climate change. The innovation lab will open up opportunities for researchers, entrepreneurs, business, government and other organisations to work together to create innovative, proven, effective climate solutions and create routes into systems change.
- Reference: ZCBAA210713
- Salary: £19,727.57 p.a. pro rata.
- 37.5 hours per week. Job share considered
- Location: Normally at Charity’s site near Machynlleth, Mid Wales. Remote working will be considered.
- Contract type: Fixed term – 1 year with potential for extension
- Responsible to: Innovation Lab Manager
- Working Days: Monday to Friday, occasional weekend work, flexi working considered
- Closing date for applications: 9am 16 August 2021
- Interviews to be held: week commencing 30 August and 6 September 2021
- Expected start date: As soon as possible – to be discussed at offer stage
- Carry out accurate data entry of enquiry, booking and communication information and maintain essential record systems and data returns.
- Deal with customer enquiries both online, by phone and in person.
- Carry out the accurate data entry on of enquiry, booking and communication information and maintain essential record systems and data returns.
- Liaise with course tutors as required over tuition and teaching resources.
- Ensure that health and safety documentation is in place prior to the running of courses, workshops and events in liaison with Hub and Innovation Lab team and the CAT Health & Safety Officer.
- Liaise with the CAT hospitality team over the booking of meetings, teaching, workshop and event spaces, accommodation and catering requirements.
- Undertake research and marketing for Hub and Innovation Lab activities.
- Responsibility for aspects of bookings for training, workshops and other events.
- Responsibility for post event (training, workshop, webinar etc) distribution and follow-up of surveys, setting up project evaluation interviews, sending out slides used etc.
- Source images and add to/update content of online Resource Hub.
- Take accurate minutes in meetings and distribute to participants.
- Maintenance of meetings and contacts logs.
- Where appropriate, use or work towards using, written and spoken Welsh when liaising with groups
- Any other appropriate duties as defined by the ZCB Management Team.
- Ensuring compliance with CAT’s policies and procedures including Health & Safety
To learn more about the role download the full job description:Job Description: Administrative Assistant - Zero Carbon Britain Hub and Innovation Lab