Demand a Climate Emergency Action Plan
Radical action is needed now if we are to avoid dangerous climate breakdown.
Please sign CAT's petition calling on the UK and devolved governments to produce an urgent climate emergency action plan.
To: The UK, Welsh and Scottish Governments
An action plan for our changing planet
Measures that could help us reach net-zero include:
- Phase out fossil fuels fast. Stop all subsidies to fossil fuels. Stop all fracking now. Stop burning coal.
- Support a nationwide programme to insulate the UK’s housing stock, allowing us to power down our energy demand.
- Invest in renewable energy, including on-shore and off-shore wind, powering up our clean energy supply.
- Transform agricultural subsidies to support a food system that is good for the environment and for our health.
- Radically increase UK tree cover and enhance other natural climate solutions like soils and peatlands.
- Invest in joined-up affordable public transport, and in better infrastructure for walking and cycling.
- Cut flights through a frequent flyer levy – and scrap the third runway at Heathrow.
- Invest in the creation of green jobs and provide funding for training in skills for the future.
It’s vital that all emissions are included in this plan, and we must pay our historic debts. The UK and other long-industrialised nations grew wealthy on the back of burning fossil fuels; climate justice demands that we take ambitious action now, and provide both financial and technical support for less developed countries to help with mitigation and adaptation measures.